The AIDS Memorial
Campaigning for a London & UK wide AIDS Memorial
To honour and commemorate the memory of those we have lost and the profound impact of HIV & AIDS on the diversity of individuals and British society.
AIDS Memory UK will be establishing a permanent memorial, accessible to all wanting to share their respects to those who have been affected by HIV & AIDS.
Tottenham Court Road
The AIDS Memorial will be located on Tottenham Court Road.
This area has been significant to the HIV & AIDS movement.
The location is close to:
- Former Middlesex Hospital, which was the UK’s first AIDS ward.
- James Pringle House, a sexual health clinic that saw some of the first patients in the UK with HIV & AIDS.
- The Bloomsbury Clinic, the busiest HIV clinic in the UK.
The AIDS Memorial will include:
- Recollect memories and recall remembrance to pay tribute to more than 21,000 people who died in the UK and the 35 million who have died worldwide
- Bridge history and narrative between communities and generations by considering AIDS in the 20th Century and the progress towards HIV being undetectable in the 21st
- Acknowledge an increasingly forgotten period in British history and the lessons we learnt from that time
- Form a linear historical path between the past, the present and the future for all the communities in the UK who bore the brunt of the epidemic
- Renew awareness of HIV and AIDS, aim to perform a preventative function and encourage testing by challenging the ongoing stigmatisation of more than 104,000 people living with HIV in the UK and 37 million worldwide
- Challenge the intersecting stigma and discrimination faced by groups most highly impacted by HIV
- Remind the UK that AIDS is not over and too many people living with HIV world-wide cannot access life-saving medication. Many people still die at a time when no one should any longer
- Recognise the critical role of people living with HIV and other affected communities, the UK government, civil society and other actors in the global HIV response from the start of the epidemic to now
London is the chosen city as it was hit hardest in the UK; many people sought support in the capital from all over the UK and the world.
Support us in creating a space to remember the fallen
London AIDS Memorial